STRANGE SURFACES WORKSHOP
STRANGE SURFACES WORKSHOP
Thursday, May 11th from 6-8pm
Saturday, May 13th from 10am-noon
(This is not a multi-session class, each date is $25 and registered for separately.)
In this fun, interactive two hour workshop, students will learn to seal and prime a variety of surfaces for painting, drawing, pastel, watercolor, oil, and mixed media use. Students will learn:
- Why tinted or decorative papers make excellent acrylic or mixed media surfaces. How to turn any paper into a surface that can hold up to heavy applications of acrylics or mixed media
- How to adhere watercolor paper (or any thick paper) to a wood panel
- How to turn a wood panel or canvas into a surface for watercolor painting using watercolor ground
- How to create a faux encaustic look using Regular Gel Matte
- How to create your own tinted, sanded pastel paper or board
- (Permitting it does not rain) How to use spray gesso
- How to prime a surface for oil painting using Gamblin's Oil Painting Ground
Each student will be able to make their own 5x7" take-home version of each of the above surfaces and go home with a small sample of Golden Regular Gel Matte.
In the last part of this hands-on demo workshop, we'll also explore alternate uses for Golden Acrylic Gels and ways that they can be used to enhance surfaces of paintings that are completed, or nearly complete. If you have any small paintings (made of any water-based media), 16x20" or smaller that you feel comfortable experimenting with, feel free to bring those along for the second portion of this class. Jules will show samples and examples of her paintings she modified with Golden Gels as a means of sparking creativity and inspiration.
Students will be provided with all surfaces and materials that will be used in the demos and hands-on activities, but should plan ahead to buy or bring a long palette knife or Catalyst tool (see last photo for examples of appropriate tools - available at the Depo) to spread materials. Students should also bring a notebook and pencil, and a low flat box (such as two sides of a clothing gift box) to take your wet sample panels home in.
Can't make the Bowling Green dates? Check this out:
Tuesday, May 9th, 11am-1pm
Saturday, May 13th, 3-5pm
Register for Toledo here.
Please register as soon as you plan on attending. Classes that don't reach the minimum number of students required will be canceled 48 hours before the first day of class. Last minute registrations are accepted if class minimum is met and space allows.